Monday, February 20, 2017

Sometimes the poker gods smile upon thee

Had my best session in well over a year at The Meadows last week, winning more than $600 at a $1/3 NLHE table. It was one of those sessions where everything worked. I smashed flops and got paid. Every bluff I ran scared folks away. And, yes, there was a bit of good luck at play too. Take this lovely hand ...

A good, somewhat tight player raised it up pre to $12. I called holding 10-10. We were the only two to go to the flop, which came 9-7-7. The other guy C-bet $20, and I made it $60 to go, wanting to end it right there if he was holding A-K or A-Q. He called fairly quickly, which obviously dampened my enthusiasm for this hand.

Turn came the A, not a great card for me unless I wanted to turn the hand into some kind of semi-bluff (like pretending I was holding A-9, maybe). I did not want to do that. He checked, and I checked behind. At this point, I was more than content to just check down the hand.

Until the river came a gorgeous and unexpected 10, that is. He checked, and I pushed out a neat $100 stack. He considered it for a long, long time, trying to put together the clues and solve the mystery of what I was holding. Which was, of course, pretty much impossible. The way things played out, it was just an indecipherable hand. I know I wouldn't have been able to figure it out, had I been in his seat.

He asked if I would show if he folded. I politely told him I would not. (Pretty much my standard answer, and one I'd recommend to anyone facing that question in almost any circumstance.) Finally, he pushed out his own $100 stack to call.

"You're going to be sick," I said and revealed my rivered full boat. He eyes glanced back and forth between my cards and the board, then he muttered a few obscenities before leaving the table for good. He never showed, but I'm pretty sure he had pocket jacks. (That makes the most sense anyway.) Just a brutal hand for him. A lot of fun for me though!

No comments: