Monday, June 1, 2015

Finally, I have my own "grump" tale

One of the first poker blogs I started reading somewhat regularly was Robert Woolley's Poker Grump blog. Although, at the time, I only knew him by his online handle, "Rakewell," the name I still think of when I read his writing, either at his blog or at Poker News. Rakewell has a favorite hand that is well-known to his readers and other members of the poker-blogging community: the mighty deuce-four. His blog is littered with posts about holdem pots he took down with the unassuming hand, and 2-4 (preferably NOT suited because, as Rakewell would say, then you can make two kinds of flushes with it) eventually became known as "the grump" throughout online poker circles. Poker bloggers all have stories about hands they won with the grump. Well, all of them except me ... until now.

Saturday night, $1/3 NLHE at The Meadows. I was in for $420 and down to my last $103. I had decided to call it a night but planned to limp in with my last three white chips in a hand where I was likely to see a flop before cashing out for a single hundred-dollar bill. (Unless I smashed the flop, of course.) I folded on the button, but in the very next hand I peeked down to see 2-4 staring at me. It's the grump, I thought. I have to play it. Sure enough, the table limped around to me, and I threw my final three white chips into the pot. Then my dad, who was sitting on the button on my immediately left, decided to raise it to $6 for some ungodly reason. (Don't ask me to explain. My father often plays his own brand of poker.)

Of course everyone with cards threw in the extra three bucks, so I had no choice but to do the same. (Actually, I did have a choice. I probably could have just over-shoved and taken down all the loose change, but I was too tired to be pulling moves like that.) So, annoyed that my dad was making me cut into my neat $100 stack, I threw in a red and pulled two whites back to cover his shitty raise. The flop came 2-2-7.

Heh. Okay. Thanks for inflating this pot a bit, Dad!

A player sitting early led out for $10. He got a caller. I decided to slowplay and just call. My father called. Another player behind him called. Pot was up to ~$90. Turn came the A, which I figured was a good card for me, as it was likely someone out there had an ace and perhaps even A-7. First two players checked, and I bet $40 of the $87 I had back. (Figuring I had the best hand, I didn't want to go too big and scare away a weak ace. I could just get the rest in on the river.) Everybody folded except for the player who was under the gun, who had done nothing but limp, check and call so far. He called my $40. River came the 4.

The poker grump was right. This hand is magic!

My opponent checked, and I shoved in the rest of my stack. He took a good couple of minutes to think about it, then said "I think you might have me out-kicked" before calling and turning over A-9.

"I have a full house," I said, and you could tell he didn't quite believe it until I got my cards flipped over a second later. He just shook his head. The rest of the table laughed.

Then, the best part is, a player sitting across from me who had folded preflop said, "You are not going to believe this, but I had 2-4 too and folded it. I spent the whole hand wishing I had those cards back."

See? That guy should have been reading the Poker Grump all of these years. He would have known the deuce-four's true power ...

3 comments:

Memphis MOJO said...

I wish you wouldn't spread the word about the power of the mighty deuce four. Let's keep it a secret, okay?

Bob Taylor said...

Heh. Anyone know the HTML coding for a thick black line with the word REDACTED on it in white text?!

lightning36 said...

Leave it to me to be the lone blogger with any sanity left. The 2-4 is EVIL! Grump continually states that I do not know how to play it properly, but it is a bankroll breaker eating away your money a little at a time.

Call me a heretic, but I stand by my beliefs. I am fearful of Grump, should he decide to pursue me with his cadre of evil and burn me at the stake in some undisclosed Las Vegas desert location.