Sunday, April 21, 2013

Quads on the board, and then things get weird

Here's a crazy hand from yesterday's $1/3 NLHE session at Rivers. A tight, older player sitting early raised it up to $12 preflop. Two callers and front of me, and I called as well holding A-Q♠ from the cutoff.

Flop came 2-2♣-3♣, and it checked all the way around. Turn was the 2♠. Nothing but checks again. River came -- you guessed it -- the 2, putting quads on the board, which I believe is the first time I've ever seen that. It's definitely the first time I've ever written here about seeing it.

Anyway, the guy who originally raised now decided to bet $15. I guessed he had an ace too, so he figured why not get some money in the pot? Then the next guy in the hand, another tight, older guy, called the $15. Now that was a little weird. If he doesn't have an ace, it's a terrible call, and if he does, why not raise? But, okay, whatever. It was a pretty unique hand, and I wouldn't be surprised if some casual players didn't even know where they stood here. Plus, there are players out there who just won't raise if they assume it's going to be a chop, even if there's absolutely no risk in doing so.

Third player in the hand is a young guy who I had pegged as one of the best players at the table, and he raised it up to $70.

Okay, so there's an ace. Wait a minute ... am I certain about that? A bare ace is the nuts here, right?! Shit, I better run through this in my head again ...

And that's what I did. I mean, quads on the board is really rare. And considering the frisky action in front of me, I became a bit worried that I was going to be the dumb one and somehow misread the potential hands here. So, okay, just to be sure ...

A three is no good. Can't play a full house because everyone's got to play the quads. Same goes with a pocket pair. And there's no fifth two in the deck, so ...

Yep, I had the nuts. So I shoved all-in because why not? Again, it may seem silly, as it's preposterous to think anyone would be calling without an ace, but you always want to give other people the chance to misread the situation. The dealer announced my all-in but asked me to leave my chips back for the moment.

First older guy called. There's the third ace. Second older guy calls. Jesus! Do we all have an ace?! I started to roll my cards over. "Well, I've got one," I said.

"Hold up," the dealer said, sticking his arm up. "There's still action behind you."

Damn, he was right. I forgot the young player still had chips back, and it was now on him as I had shoved all-in over top of him. He shook his head in disgust, which I initially took to mean he was angry that I started to show my hand out of turn. Although that didn't make much sense since he had to have an ace and of course was calling. Why would he care that I flashed early?

But then the true source of his disgust became apparent when he mucked his cards and leaned back in his chair, clearly annoyed with himself. I then fully showed my ace, as did the other two players in the hand.

"Yep, I had pocket sevens," the young guy said. "Didn't even realize the river was another two."

See what I mean about giving other people a chance to screw things up?

Whether the guy honestly misread the river or momentarily failed to realize you can't play six cards in poker, I'm not sure. Most times, I'd assume the player was just trying to make himself look less stupid, but up to this point, this dude seemed to be a legitimately good player. So maybe he indeed didn't realize quads were on the board.

Regardless, the hand turned into a little bit of a money-maker for the rest of us, as we got to split the kid's $82 three ways. Actually, it's possible my speaking up out of turn tipped him off and prevented him from putting the rest of his money into the pot, though I think he had it sussed out before it got back to him. (And if he didn't, it ended up not mattering, as I tabled him shortly thereafter anyway. Which was even better since I didn't have to split the rest of his money with two other guys.)

I ended up cashing out $156 to the good on the session. After two pretty piss-poor years of poker, I've averaging $25+ profit an hour so far in 2013. That number may be unsustainable at $1/3, especially if I start playing more often, but it's nice to be winning consistently again.

4 comments:

lightning36 said...

Interesting story. Having read the board wrong a few times in my life, I would guess that was the case here.

The only reason I could see to not re-raise on the river would be if you were able to save some rake.

grrouchie serge said...

I like when other people's stupidity gives you more of a profit.

Last night I was the idiot who called the river with the "nut flush" not realizing that one of my cards was a spade and the other was a heart....

ugh

Bob Taylor said...

Oh, yeah, I've definitely misread the board before too, most recently in the second A-9 hand I described in this post.

Rob said...

Ha ha. I saw a similar hand not too long ago. In that case the first four cards were all Aces. A guy with the King simply called a bet on the turn and checked the river. Yeah, he checked the river--after it had been checked to him--with the stone cold nuts.

Story is here:

http://robvegaspoker.blogspot.com/2013/03/arent-i-following-you-on-twitter.html